Current Time On The Rock

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Sheds"

 

If you are a guy you know what sheds are and the importance of the shed ritual. Now sheds are many thing to many people, but they are a cultural gathering unit no matter where you are. In Newfoundland one radio station has a small program called "In The Shed with Big Tom". Jokes, contests and lively banter are all centered around this shed phenomenon on the air. It is great fun. My shed is small by shed standards, but it is full to capacity. Tools, mufflers, old kayak racks, rope, tow rope, wood pieces, pipe pieces, deer antlers, tape, you know that grey kind, right out of "Red, Green" you might say ...and much, much more for such a little shed.

On a recent trip to Bonavista I met the shed of sheds and the proprietors. The "Byes!" On the first day I met them they didn't know me that well so I wasn't introduced to the shed. When I returned the second day and saw the Boys outside having a brewsky, I was invited into "THE SHED". As the picture is worth a thousand words, a picture of a shed must be worth at least a million. Imagine the stories that sheds have. These old timers had lots of stories for me. Fishing stories, Iceberg stories and the list went on. As Iceberg tours were sometimes initiated out of this shed there have been lots of shed visitors. On the walls literally everywhere were the names of those who had been invited into "The Shed" over the years. I was honored to be asked to sign my own John Hancock on any space if I could find one. It was difficult. The bottom level of this shed had the customary table for ashtrays, beer, and bits of food and perhaps a deck of cards. On the walls and benches around the table was everything a shed occupant could ever want at anytime of the year. I mean anything and everything. This shed had what Dan called The Twine Loft. I asked of course what a twine loft was. DAn said it was a place where fisherman went to mend their nets with the traditional fisher men's twine and forks and sit around all day and gab and solve most of the political problems of the world far and near. Certainly the ones related to fishing.

I was therefore surprised when asked if I wanted to have a look at the twine loft? Seen those before in Nova Scotia. My brother has one in his multitude of sheds, being a fisherman and all. Up I went to the twine loft and low and behold a bar, a pool table and a most coveted poker table I was told in full view but inconspicuously located out of the way of normal shed traffic. They've done it I thought. They've created the ultimate shed. I immediately had shed envy. I was tickled and charmed by the hospitality of these guys and their friendliness and willingness to share laughter and fun. I could have stayed and hung out there all day......I was invited after all. Thanks guys, the best shed in the world! What's in your shed? lol
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This blog post could not be written
any better! Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
He continually kept preaching about this. I am going
to send this article to him. Pretty sure he's going to have a very good read. Thanks for sharing!
Check out my web site - shed building plans