Current Time On The Rock

Friday, April 25, 2008

"They're Backkkk!!!!"


Well I believe, by any recent indications, that this is going to be a very good year for viewing Icebergs in Newfoundland. Although these little chunks are just "bergy-bits" at Outer Cove on April 25th,2008, there are big bergs offshore and floating down the "IceBerg Alley". In particular there is one off Logy Bay probably about 15 km or so off. I could see it through binoculars and it looked massive. It is at 47.610792 Lat and -52.653694 Long it is identified by icebergfinder.com as #12361, Blocky and Larg.
There are three other smaller pieces identified,12364 is Pinnacle Shaped and small off Ferryland. There are two bergy-bits #'s 12363 and 12362 of Cape Broyle and are Tabular. You can actually track their progress at www.icebergfinder.com

3 comments:

Karen said...

There is a nice one in Pouch Cove, I've got pics of it on my blog from yesterday.

http://bitstop-nfld.blogspot.com/

Douglas Wilcox said...

Hello Stan, thank you for this. This is one feature that Scottish sea kayaking has lacked for 10,000 years now.

Stan Mac Kenzie said...

Hey Karen,thanks for the tip on the berg. I'm hoping to get out on the water to actually paddle...well within a safe distance anyway. Your pictures are super as usual.

Thanks for the comment Douglas. It sure is nice to see these things when they happen by knowing where they come from and the tremendous journey of their own. It would be nice to see and photo how their sahpes must chnage over the course of the trip. I know you would have some spectacular shots. I've been watching some documentaries on our Discovery channel about global warming and such and I thnik tha perhaps this may be a more frequent occurance. Though they are a sight to behold I beliece they too are an indication of what is directly going on in relation to our changing environment. But while they float by I will post as many as I get an oppotunity to see.

Stan