Current Time On The Rock

Friday, February 05, 2010

"Wave Rider"


The weather outside is horrendous. We are currently in the middle of a 50cm snow storm with blizzarding conditions. No paddling tomorrow either as winds will be high.
I've revisited this photo. It always humbles me as I am lead to think on the size of waves. This is actually Tony, one of my best photo subjects and avid paddling partner, coasting down the side of a big roller. This image is actually waves on a wave.
When I kayak, I feel as much in touch with the sky as I do the water and most times they seem to be one, just separated by a horizon. Our eyes are always on both for different reasons. The sky for weather information and just plain eye aesthetics. Of course the water for clues on how to control our boat as we paddle along. Where sky, paddler and water meet is where I can find some harmony.

2 comments:

Tony said...

We paddled together almost 100% of the paddles I did last year (excluding practices etc). There weren't many when either of us weren't in the mix. Why? Because we're on the same wave- (pardon the pun) length. Looking forward to more of the same the rest of 2010.

I think this was taken the same evening as the fabulous sunset shot.

Tony :-)

Stan Mac Kenzie said...

Yes it was Tony. More good ones to come.


Stna