Current Time On The Rock

Saturday, March 29, 2008

"Buns.......Cinnamon"



Well what do you do when you are in the throws of a spring snow storm? Read a 2006 issue of KANAWA, Canada's paddling magazine and find an article by Mark Lafontaine, an avid canoeist, photographer and outdoors man from Saskatchewan on making cinnamon buns over a camp fire, and well, make'um.

So I did and with a cold glass of milk they were delicious. I like trying camping recipes at home first to see how I fare and what changes I can make to suit my own taste. Didn't change a thing here....oh yeah left out the camp fire did I mention it is blizzarding outside. I'm going to the pool tonight though!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp margarine
2 tbsp milk powder
brown sugar
cinnamon
Margarine

At Home:
Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and milk powder. Using two dull knives, cut in 3 tbsp of margarine until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Seal it in a zip-lock bag. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in another bag.

In Camp:
Add enogh cold water to the prepackaged dry mix to make a firm dough. Spread the dough out about half-inch thick on the inside of a barrel lid that has been lightly dusted with flour. Spread the margarine over the dough then sprinkle with cinnamon/brown sugar mixture. Roll the dough tightly and cut into 1 inch sections. Place the sections into a greased pot, cover with a double layer of tin foil and place over camp fire taking care not to burn bottom. Place twigs over top of tinfoil to start small twig fire to cook bun tops. Well this is where I would just use an outdoor camp oven I have but hey in a crunch the camp fire method sounds sweet to me. Cook until your bun tops are brown. Easy as pie......I mean buns!

No comments: